Rust Belt Recovery
The former Connecting Railroad roundhouse in McKeesport, PA, was built in 1905. Now abandoned, an industrial park developer using federal and state historic preservation agencies is planning to preserve the structure.
McKeesport has a population of about 20,000 now down from over 55,000 in 1940, with the decrease due to the decline of the steel industry. The major employer was the National Tube Works, a manufacturer of iron pipes, which once employed 10,000 men.
National Tube closed in the 1980s, following the other U.S. Steel plants in the Mon Valley.
McKeesport was the site of the first G. C. Murphy five-and-ten-cent store.